Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Cold Kiss Review

Author: Amy Garvey
Title: Cold Kiss

GoodReads Summary:

It was a beautiful, warm summer day, the day Danny died.

Suddenly Wren was alone and shattered. In a heartbroken fury, armed with dark incantations and a secret power, Wren decides that what she wants--what she "must" do--is to bring Danny back.


But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy Wren fell in love with. His touch is icy; his skin, smooth and stiff as marble; his chest, cruelly silent when Wren rests her head against it.

Wren must keep Danny a secret, hiding him away, visiting him at night, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school, and Wren realizes that somehow, inexplicably, he can sense the powers that lie within her--and that he knows what she has done. And now Gabriel wants to help make things right.

But Wren alone has to undo what she has wrought--even if it means breaking her heart all over again.

My thoughts:


I can honestly say I wasn’t looking forward to reading Cold Kiss. I saw the cover of its sequel Glass Heart and fell in love with the cover art. Now being OCD about reading books in order I added Cold Kiss to my reading list, I kinda figured it’ll stay at the bottom until I totally forgot what it was even about and just left it there. But I kept seeing these books around, I read some good reviews, AND my library had it first time I checked. I figured this was like meant to be, I just had to read it and know what it is. And boy was I wrong..

So this is pretty much how the story goes.  Wren (our main character) has a sorta normal life. She lives with her mom, and her sister Robin, she goes to school, and is just trying to get over her boyfriend’s recent death. After Danny died in a car crash things got seriously depressing and she stopped talking to her friends, basically she became a ball of self-pity.  But Wren’s got a secret; her family has powers, magic powers, even though her mom forbade them from talking about them it doesn't mean they’re planning on going away. So Wren does what any other magical self-pitying girlfriend would do and raises Danny from the dead.  But it didn't exactly work out like it had in her mind, first she’s got him living above her elderly neighbor’s garage. Second no one, not a single soul knows that she brought him back. What’s worse? He’s not really ‘living’ no heartbeat, doesn't eat or drink, he’s basically a zombie. Oh and she also has to spend every free second she has with him so he doesn't go crazy.  

Incomes Gabriel, the new kid who’s actually -get this- a mind reader. What happens?  Well, Gabe is taking his normal look through the minds of the kids in his new school, and BOOM some wacko girl is thinking about her undead boyfriend in a garage.  So he tries to help, like any nice person would do in that situation. The story is basically about Wren realizing that she did something really stupid, impulsive and selfish. Not to mention it takes about the entire book to do so. 

I read a bunch of reviews saying that this was so sad and touching and just a wonderful story. It was not. Or at least I didn't feel that way towards it. I really couldn't connect with any of the characters; I actually didn't like anyone of them besides Gabriel’s older sister Olivia. The whole time I just wanted to finish the book. It just kept dragging on, and keep in mind this is a smaller book. Less than 350 pages and it still took me an eternity to read.

Overall I give Cold Kiss and 2. I'm just happy to be done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment