Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Review

Author: Michelle Hodkin
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

GoodReads Summary:

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.


She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.

She’s wrong.


My thoughts:

Okay the first thing I thought when I saw this book was “uhh” I mean honestly, the cover is stinkin’ weird. Like seriously, it just doesn’t give me the right feeling, and goodreads makes it sound like some sob story. You know where the main character, who’s been tortured and is broken inside learns to love again? Blah. Major pass on that. But I kept seeing it, and thinking about it, and I’ve heard really great things about this book. The cover may be creepy in a weird kinda way, but I mean, it does latch on to your mind. I kept seeing this book, over and over, and figured I might as well get this over with. So last night, I picked it up and started to read.

I don’t really know how to explain this story. Mara the main character wakes up in a hospital and finds out that the building she was in, along with her boyfriend, his sister, and her best friend collapsed. And the fact that she’s the only one who made it out alive. Which could set anyone off the deep end really, she convinces her parents to move to Miami to give her a new start, so move they do. She attends a private school, makes a few friends and starts uncovering what really happened the night her friends died. The thing I most like about this book is it’s totally unpredictable.

Now, when I say unpredictable, I mean seriously, I could not even guess what would happen in the next chapter. Things kept getting mixed up and as soon as I thought things were going to be solved I’d realize there are ten more chapters and I’m probably wrong. My biggest mistake was wondering what on earth the sequel could possibly be about because everything was going to be solved. WRONG. Giant cliff hanger, like total end of the cliff, I would’ve feel off of said cliff if I didn’t know I could read the sequel right now.

What I think really made this book was the awesome characters. Noah, Mara, Daniel, everyone was awesome. Mara was the right amount of sassy, sincere, and cautious, Daniel is the most awesome older brother anyone could ever ask for. In fact, I’d love for mine to start being as caring and all around amazing like Daniel. Noah was enough dark and mysterious to stir anyone’s interest, and really kept me guessing. Another really awesome thing about this book was its diction, I mean Hodkin pulled off the right amount of teen profanity, yet managed to get some SAT prep words in there. It wasn’t the annoying kind where someone uses the word “ostentatious” as an insult. I mean, there were words I didn’t even know, and it just flowed really really well in writing. Our characters are AP English students; we should see some smarty pants thrown around.

Overall, I give this book a 5. It’s really great and I can’t wait to start the sequel.

No comments:

Post a Comment