Friday, December 14, 2012

Fated Review

Author: Sarah Alderson
Title: Fated

GoodReads Summary:
What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it?

When Evie Tremain discovers that she’s the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she’s being hunted by an elite band of assassins –Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them – she knows she can’t run. They’ll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight.

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray is sent to spy on Evie
and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfil a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends.



If your life becomes bound to another’s, what will it take to sever it?

My thoughts:

You know that candy bar, or cell phone case, even that pair of shoes or jacket that you love? The one that you’ve had some really great memories with and then one day it gets ruined and you have to replace it? But you keep comparing the replacement with the old one? I think I did that too much with Fated. I love Sarah Alderson’s Lila Series. Right now there are only two books and a prequel out, but I love them so much. This is the second book I read by Alderson besides the Lila books, but I kept comparing! I know that’s so bad, but I just felt like Fated was that great movie sequel yet had nothing on the first. So, as amazing as Fated was, I wasn’t really feeling it.

Now Fated is one heck of a book, I’ll tell you that. I didn’t really connect with Evie our main character. The story is told in third person, and it switches around to follow Lucas and Evie around.(Would that be 2nd person? I never understood what 2nd person even is.) Usually I’m interested in the mainer character, which would be Evie in this case, yet for the first time I just wanted to read about Lucas. Could that because he’s completely amazing and full of awesomeness, probably, but it’s more so because Lucas is the magic one. And I love magic. Lucas is a Shadow Warrior and he, along Thirsters(vamps), Shape-Shifters, Mixen, and Scorpio demon, Sybll(I believe that’s all of them) make up a group known as “The Brotherhood.” Which, as misleading as the name may be, actually has girls in it, shocker I know, I was confused for a few seconds. Basically it’s Hunters against the Brotherhood(humans against demons) who’ve been battling out a thousand year war.

Evie, as assumed is a Hunter, not really trained, and kinda shocked that this is her new life and that demons even exist, was to me, a little empty. Which makes sense, but I really wasn’t seeing things through her eyes. She’s a little hollow, and that really stood out compared to all the other characters that were so sure of themselves. Usually, and I’m gonna make a comparison with the Hunger Games only because it’s the only thing I can currently think of. When our small town(or district) leading gal is put in a tough situation she pulls herself together and does what she needs to do, just like Katniss. Evie kinda just, let Lucas play hero and didn’t really do much. So in a way, I feel like this is more Lucas’s story and not Evie’s.

Aside from all that, this book freaking rocks. I mean its total amaze. It’s got all the right amounts of action, those at the end of your seat tense moments. I’m not sure if you’d say it’s all romance, or it only has a little being that it kinda revolves around someone’s feelings. Not gonna give away too much here, well any more. SO! Bottom line this book is great and everyone should read it, you’ll love it trust me.

Fated scores a 4.5 for me.
p.s. Those of you who are deeply concerned about the fact that I don’t exactly know what 2nd person point of view is, don’t worry I’ll probably end up with a nice email from Ashton explaining to me what it is.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment