Saturday, December 15, 2012

Entangled Review

Author: Cat Clarke
Title: Entangled

GoodReads Summary:

The same questions whirl round and round in my head: What does he want from me? How could I have let this happen? AM I GOING TO DIE? 17-year-old Grace wakes up in a white room, with table, pens and paper - and no clue how she got there. As Grace pours her tangled life onto the page, she is forced to remember everything she's tried to forget. There's falling hopelessly in love with the gorgeous Nat, and the unravelling of her relationship with her best friend Sal. But there's something missing. As hard as she's trying to remember, is there something she just can't see? Grace must face the most important question of all. Why is she here? A story of dangerous secrets, intense friendships and electrifying attraction.



My thoughts:

I’m in that mood. You know the one at the end of the sad movie?(don’t worry I won’t start quoting Taylor Swift here.. although that song is now stuck in my head) Or book in this case? Or when you find out you failed a test? Yeah that mood, blame it on Entangled. I haven’t been in this mood in a loooong time, I think it’s because I haven’t read a book this hmm what’s the word for it?(Ariel moment I’m a MERMAID)  I can’t remember, but it leaves you an emotional wreck. Total. Complete. Wreck. Wait scratch that, I did read a book like this a while ago. Cracked Up to Be by Courtney Summers made me feel this icky too. Well best way to get out of a bad/icky/sad/fazed mood like this it to write it out right? So let’s write some.

Entangled is one of those backwards books. The ones where the character is put somewhere and is telling you how they got there. Everything they did leading up to that event or where they are? With those interruptions of what’s actually going on around them? Yeah Entangled is that type of book. I really am starting to love those, because it’s like you’re getting two stories at the same time. And it’s all the more interesting. Plus the way they’re written usually grabs my attention effortlessly. Which Entangled really did, I had to force myself to put it down the other night because you need sleep. And I wasn’t going to get any with that book in my hands.

This book isn’t for everyone; I know that because I have no idea why I liked it. If someone were to come up to me and say “Hey you have to read this book it’s about this girl who’s writing out all the events of her life leading up to the moment she tried to commit suicide, all while trying to figure out where she is and how she got there.” I’d probably take the book out of their hands and throw it across the room. I mean it radiates depressing! And my life can be depressing enough I read to entertain myself and make me happy. Not drag me down with its soul crushing sob story!

But this book wasn’t like that. I mean, yeah Grace the main character did try to kill herself, and she was a cutter, kinda sleazy and drinks way too much. It’s just the writing was so amazing I really didn’t care. The words were so perfect and they kinda made you forget you’re reading something you’d make fun of your best friend for reading. It’s so interesting, Grace wraps you up in her world each account from her past its own story.  You keep saying “last chapter” and then it’s one in the morning and you’ve got an 8:30 class you need to be up for in those seven and half hours.

Like I said this book isn’t for everyone, in fact it’s a bit of an older read. Lots of mention of drinking and some crazy night outs. By the way this book is British. I felt like a total geek going “OMG British people are crazy” at like every other thing that they did different from me. All in all, I could write about this book forever and I really hope it has a sequel cause it ended weirdly. Like it just shut off. And it wasn’t a cliff hanger where you are like “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” It was more an “hm.okay” kinda thing. I'm not sure if it ending that way is for better or worse. I sorta think the sequel would be poking the hornets nest with a stick.(there's some kinda of expression like that, you get what I mean) 

I’m giving this book a 5. Because it’s weird, overrated, totally main stream, extremely well written, captivating, creepy, unrealistic, tragic, hilarious, kinda gross, total teen problems, dumb, breathtaking, icky mood rendering, interesting, blah, and wonderful all wrapped up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment