Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mystic City Review

Author: Theo Lawrence
Title: Mystic City

GoodReads Summary:

For fans of  Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.



Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself. 

My thoughts:

Two words. Emotional roller coaster. This is the best book I've read in a really long time. It’s gripping, enchanting, it’s mysterious, captivating, and like a said takes you on one heck of an emotional roller coaster  That last sentence just about sums up my ideal boyfriend. I’d actually choose to read this book over a night out. It’s that good. Did I mention intense? Cause this book is LOADS intense. I finished it like, a second ago, so I’m still excited and jittery. I even mentioned it to Ashton earlier how great a book it is, and then I was scared I jinxed it, but then it got totally awesome all over. Okay okay I’m gonna stop rambling and actually get to the point!

Three reasons I love this book, first the characters. Aria is such a strong character after everything she’s been through she just keeps fighting and looking for answers. Aside from her there’s Kiki her best friend, which I find super funny and the lighthearted character this book totally needs to keep its balance. Then we have Hunter and Thomas double the cuties! Oh, not to mention Hunter’s best friend Turk who I think is just hilarious. And a few scattered side characters, the best part about all these characters is they keep you guessing. One minute it’s like “oh yeah, he’s totally a liar” then next you’re like “no, no, he’s not the liar, SHE is!” and it goes on and on. I see how some people can find that annoying, I just thought it was interesting, ever page was new turn and things just kinda exploded all over again.

Which leads me to reason two, this book doesn't get boring. As soon as you phase out and are ready to put it down you just “happen” to skim the bottom of the page and you’re sucked back in all over again. As soon as you’re sure of one thing, something contradicts it so you’re kinda infuriated but interested and a little confused all at the same time. Moving on to reason three, I LOVE the Mystic magic. I’m that girl who still swears by Tinker Bell and all that magic that you eventually grow out of. Mystic City is the first book in like, as long as I can remember that wrapped me up in a magical world that’s completely amazing and breathtaking. It takes the New York we know and love to a whole new level and it’s just mystical. Okay that was corny but it’s the best way to describe this book. Mystical. Perfect word.

Now just to be clear those three things were just random and whatever came to mind first. I can think of loads more reasons but I think I should at least briefly mention what the book is about. Aria’s life is a total lie. The only reason she’s so sure is because her family tries to convince her she over dosed on Stic a magical drug, then forgot the fact that she’s in love with her fiancé Thomas, and now can’t remember a thing about him. I mean you’d remember the person who you defied your parents and everything you were raised to believe just to be with, right? Well she doesn't  and she won’t stop until she gets her memory back. She goes on adventure after adventure trying to figure out who she can and cannot trust, who Thomas really is, and how her life ended up the way it is. The more things unravel the more the story draws you in.   

I give this book a 5. Totally worth the time spent reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment