Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Velveteen Review

Author: Daniel Marks
Title: Velveteen

GoodReads Summary:

Velveteen Monroe is dead. At 16, she was kidnapped and murdered by a madman named Bonesaw. But that’s not the problem.

The problem is she landed in purgatory. And while it’s not a fiery inferno, it’s certainly no heaven. It’s gray, ashen, and crumbling more and more by the day, and everyone has a job to do. Which doesn’t leave Velveteen much time to do anything about what’s really on her mind.


Bonesaw.

Velveteen aches to deliver the bloody punishment her killer deserves. And she’s figured out just how to do it. She’ll haunt him for the rest of his days. 

It’ll be brutal... and awesome.

But crossing the divide between the living and the dead has devastating consequences. Velveteen’s obsessive haunting cracks the foundations of purgatory and jeopardizes her very soul. A risk she’s willing to take—except fate has just given her reason to stick around: an unreasonably hot and completely off-limits coworker.

Velveteen can’t help herself when it comes to breaking rules... or getting revenge. And she just might be angry enough to take everyone down with her.


My thoughts:
Velveteen’s summary really grabbed my interest. I don’t usually read stories that sound that dark and let’s say creepy, but for some reason I just couldn't wait to get my hands on this one. The first thing I want to say about this book is it’s a mature read. In a way it’s kinda gory, and definitely not something I’d recommend to anyone younger, or less tolerant of that kind of thing. With that aside, I really, really liked this book. Velveteen our main character is that miss understood, sorta punk teen. You know the one that sits in the back of class and you’re secretly intimidated by but you’ll never admit it? Yeah that’s her, only she’s dead, and stuck, and mad, and confused, and stressed, and the list goes on.

Velveteen, I think, is pretty awesome. I mean, if I was in her place I’d totally be a wreck and she really is in control. She’s got a good job as a Salvage Team leader in Purgatory, she’s great at her work(even broken a few records), and she’s got some nice friends. On the side she manages to haunt(which is like illegal in Purgatory) the guy who murdered her. My favorite thing about this book is the characters, from Lousia, to Isadora(meanie head evil girl) I really, really like all the characters. They’re the type of group -well not Isadora- that I’d actually love to be friends with. The only things I didn't like about this book well, it doesn't really make sense.

I’m trying to think of a great way to explain this without like a gazillion and a half spoilers, and like, ruining the whole book. Some things just don’t add up, like for example when a soul from Purgatory goes through a crack into the Daylight (which is what they call normal living world) their clothes and stuff get shredded through the space magic portal whatever. But Velveteen was carrying a key in one scene and managed to keep it even though all her clothes and stuff were gone? I’m sorry but wasn't that key in the pocket of the pants that no longer exist? There are a few moments where you’re like “But-wait- why didn't they….what?”

Aside from all that it’s a great story the pace just needs a little push. There’s a little romance in it, but not too much where it gets boring. It’s also really cool how Marks really creates a new world in Purgatory. It was sorta like the City of Ember with all the hanging gas lights and patchwork of buildings. Overall Velveteen is a really great read for a rainy day. It’s got a little of everything, humor, romance, adventure, and mystery. I’d have to give it a 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment