Friday, January 18, 2013

Crimson Frost Review

Author: Jennifer Estep
Title: Crimson Frost

GoodReads Summary:

For a moment, a face flashed before my eyes—the most hideous face I’d ever seen. No matter how hard I tried to forget what had happened, I saw him everywhere I went. It was Loki—the evil god that I’d helped set free against my will.

I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.


I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…


My thoughts:

First book of the year and it was…eh.  I mean, seriously thought this book would start and end in a bang. I mean it’s the fourth in the series, we've got all the relationships established and everything is at prime time to dive straight into the action and get closer and closer to defeating the Loki (evil guy) and things magically working out. Well, when I first picked up this book after I've been awaiting it for so long, I figured I was just out of the reading mood. Since the last book I read was a few weeks prior. I knew for sure as soon as I got my head back into reading I’d fall in love with the story and get into the heat of things. I knew that as soon as I read that last page I’d be dying while waiting for the next installment. Yeah, not really what happened.

It went more like, “blah, blah, blah, ooo yeah there’s a next book we know you live… blaaaah.” I’m sorry what even was the climax? I’m trying to rant without giving it all away, but the whole time I was reading this going “why is this so lame?” I mean, I wasn't sure if the whole series was as “eh” as Crimson Frost or if I just lost interest in the whole thing.  You have to understand that like I said, this is the fourth book in the series, with a prequel. I've read loads and loads on Gwen and her friends and I totally loved every minute of it. Until Crimson Frost made me rethink the whole series.

 Like I said before, I really couldn't tell what the climax was, we know all the secrets by now, we know all the goods and bads. I could easily predict who the undercover evil doer was. It all seemed watered down to me.  Gwen is kinda annoying in Crimson Frost, she’s really dependent on other people and it irks me to extreme lengths that she waits around for everyone else to fix her problems. Seriously, she’s at the center of it all, she should be doing the saving. Even Vic, the wonderful, smart mouth, Vic who you could always count on to make you laugh so hard you have to put the book down, isn't himself.

Crimson Frost really let me down, while the end did leave off with a big cliff hanger I’m assuming it’s going to resolve itself in the next book. Maybe it was because I had such high hopes for this, or maybe I've fallen out of love with the series. In the end, I’m giving this book a 3. Sorry, but it’s the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment