Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Boyfriend List Reivew

Author: E. Lockhart
Title: The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs, and Me, Ruby Oliver

GoodReads Summary:
E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.

Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she: 

   * lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list) 
   * lost her best friend (Kim)
   * lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)

   * did something suspicious with a boy (#10) 
   * did something advanced with a boy (#15)
   * had an argument with a boy (#14)
   * had a panic attack
   * lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
   * failed a math test (she'll make it up)
   * hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
   * became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
   * had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the
   boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

My thoughts:


I’m in a weird state of mind being that I just finished this book. I was really looking forward to this being something light-hearted and funny. But most the time I was just shocked at how appalling these characters are to each other.  It’s like when your friend is complaining about their parents/boyfriend/girlfriend/teacher/whatever and as much as you want to side with your friend, because they’re your friend. You really do agree with the other person? Yeah this book was kinda like that, more like “Why are you people so terrible? You’re both wrong.”

Before I continue with that, here’s basically what went down. Now, the story starts off after the biggest debacle(if you read the book this word fits perfectly) in Ruby Oliver’s life. Her boyfriend dumped her, got with her best friend, her world started falling down on her, the whole school is spreading rumors and pretty much everything if tearing apart. My biggest complaint, and I've seen about a million reviews saying this, it’s extremely hard to keep track of what’s going on in the book.  

Roo(Ruby) is playing back therapy sessions and explaining who each boy on the boyfriend list is, what happened with them, and how they contribute to her situation now. Only while she does that, she somehow manages to add in what’s currently happening in her life and which boy. So towards the end she sorta repeats herself. Now on top of all that, each chapter has a few footnotes. I don’t know what it looks like printed, but as an e-book, it’s a little overwhelming. I wasn't sure if you should read the footnote as it’s mentioned, or wait till you finish the chapter. The whole thing pretty much just baffled me to irritating limits.
Back to the whole book being based of the most horrible thing I could imagine. Roo had been dating Jackson for six months(it’s mentioned about a gazillion times in the book) when suddenly, foot on the brake, Jackson dumps her. Only to get with her best friend Kim within the next few days. How completely odious is that. It gets worse when the entire school turns on her, yet at the same time, I had a really hard time having any empathy for Roo being that she’s such an annoying(to me) character. She’s really dependent, can’t see three feet in front of her, and is extremely insecure. It drove me crazy.

Overall this book seemed to have some great potential but fell utterly and absolutely flat on my expectations. Sad to say, yet true. Although it wasn't boring me, (I’d much rather read it than my Physics history), I can’t say I enjoyed the mumble-jumble that it was. The Boyfriend List is a solid 2. I won’t be reading the sequel, and I’m glad I didn't read the somewhat/kinda prequel The Boy Book

No comments:

Post a Comment