Monday, February 4, 2013

52 Reasons to Hate My Father Review

Authour: Jessica Brody
Title: 52 Reasons to Hate My Father

GoodReads Summary:
Being America’s favorite heiress is a dirty job, but someone’s gotta do it.

Lexington Larrabee has never to work a day in her life. After all, she’s the heiress to the multi-billion-dollar Larrabee Media empire. And heiresses are not supposed to work. But then again, they’re not supposed to crash brand new Mercedes convertibles into convenience stores on Sunset Blvd either.


Which is why, on Lexi’s eighteen birthday, her ever-absent, tycoon father decides to take a more proactive approach to her wayward life. Every week for the next year, she will have to take on a different low-wage job if she ever wants to receive her beloved trust fund. But if there’s anything worse than working as a maid, a dishwasher, and a fast-food restaurant employee, it’s dealing with Luke, the arrogant, albeit moderately attractive, college intern her father has assigned to keep tabs on her.

In a hilarious “comedy of heiress” about family, forgiveness, good intentions, and best of all, second chances, Lexi learns that love can be unconditional, money can be immaterial, and, regardless of age, everyone needs a little saving. And although she might have 52 reasons to hate her father, she only needs one reason to love him.

My thoughts:
I’m pretty sure this storyline has been used countless times in movies, tv shows, and books. Does it get old? For some people I’m sure, but I liked Brody’s take on it. It’s the somewhat classic story of the spoiled brat to nothing, finds out the meaning of life, family, and of course love, does a 360 and becomes a better person. Predictable? Yes. Exciting? Not so much because it’s so predictable. Interesting? Ehh, kinda. Cute? Yeah, I’d say it’s a cute story. The characters are pretty developed, and I didn’t die while reading it. Only one giant major but if. This is one of those books. You know the type, about halfway through and still not interesting? Well I wouldn’t say halfway through, but it takes a good while to pick up the pace.
I honestly think for me it took so long to get into the book because I seriously hated Lexi at the beginning of the book. Although, isn’t that like exactly what’s supposed to happen with these stories? Hate the main character up until they’re marvelous change into a likeable person? It just worked a little too well. I really was thinking of giving up on the whole book because I couldn’t stand reading about her complaining for one more minute. However, I’m glad that I didn’t give in just yet.  I couldn’t really sympathize for Lexi during some of the sadder moments, like when she finds out the truth behind her mother’s death, or realizes how shallow her family really is, mostly because I still wasn’t over hating her. The background characters really do make up for Lexi’s annoying attitude. Luke unluckily stuck with Lexi and her tantrums for a year, Jia and T who are amazing friends(sorta), and even some unexpected yet important others.
The thing I liked most about this book was who turned Lexi’s life around. Yes, after she goes off the ledge and crashes her Mercedes into a convince store her father assigns her 52 odd yet terrible jobs to complete if she wants her 25 million trust fund check. However it’s not who I expected that really mad a difference in Lexi’s life, and that made it all the more interesting. As I was saying, Lexi has to complete 52 different jobs thanks to her drunk driving accident, one job a week for a year.  Assigned to keep track of Lexi, drive her to and from each job, make sure she completes them to satisfaction is Luke. Who’s had a pretty tough life himself and is an intern at Larabee Media, Lexi’s father’s billion dollar corporation.

Overall, I really did enjoy reading 52 Reasons to Hate My Father, it was a light read. Nothing too heavy, it’s got romance, suspense, some action, mystery, backstabbers, drama, all the nitty gritty of a Gossip Girl, yet a it doesn’t drag you down. If you’re willing to give 52 Reasons a chance, and really get past your immediate reactions of hating Lexi, (trust me it gets better!), I think it’ll be something you’ll be glad you read.

52 Reasons to Hate My Father scores a 4 for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment