Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cover Love #eh kinda

So I didn't post yesterday and all that, we hit out 1,500 view today! Awesome thanks you people reading this. Or robots, or little siblings going through your older siblings internet histories. Whoever you are, keep it up. The reason I didn't post yesterday, I have a legit reason, is that I couldn't find a good enough cover. There wasn't anything breathtaking or marvelous or out there. Nothing made me stop and stare, or pass it, then go back and be all "oooo, sehr interessant" (told you I took German.)


 Bottom line is I found nicht,(more German) and it was like, seriously depressing. I mean book covers are supposed to be pretty right? So I googled it looking for more covers and I ran into some odd articles that are making me think. Which isn't very good for Rose because she's going to get a very long text with my theories and what not in a few minutes. Anyways I looked through this one article saying the new "trend" in book covers are get this- dead girls. No freaking lie. Like seriously? You pick three(nine whatever) covers out of the THOUSANDS and say that the new cover fad is dead chicks? I mean can someone please just show these people a goodreads list with the hundreds of sparkly couple kissing covers? And I mean, if the book is about Vampires, then yes, the fact that there's a dead looking girl on the cover makes complete sense.

Then after getting over that random bunch on complete nonsense, I found a few articles about how all the covers have "pretty white girls" on them. Annnd I kinda stopped dead in my tracks. Can't argue that, I mean, there are covers without a model on them, but I have to admit yeah. I've probably only read a few books where the gorgeous model on the cover isn't a white girl. And this is coming from a white girl. I'll totally admit that it's dominant in covers. Only, I don't want this to sound mean or racist buut, aren't most main characters white too? I mean think about it. Harry Potter, Twilight, LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia, Percy Jackson. And these are just the biggies, so doesn't it make sense that the cover model reflects the actual character?

Now maybe you hate me after reading this, or you didn't read it at all. That's cool, no hard feelings. I got my Tim McGraw playing and my mood can't get worse. So what I did find and found pretty interesting was this chart of colors in covers. I think it's pretty cool. Hope you guys like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment