Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dust Lands Series: Rebel Heart Review

Dust Lands Series(Book Two) Rebel Heart
Author: Moria Young

GoodReads Summary:

"It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion." 

My thoughts: Silly GoodReads, you forgot to mention complaining in that crossroad...




This book… Well, this book… I’m not sure how to sum up my feelings for this book. For one, I didn't expect a lot from it. Everyone knows the movie sequel isn't as good as the first, but usually in books it gets better as the series goes on. This book is more like a movie.  The sequel is nowhere as good as the first, truth be told I didn't even love the first. I didn't have super high expectations or anything, it’s just as most of the other characters mature in this book, the main girl Saba (the story is in her POV) just keeps going backwards. Everything she does is impulsive and surprisingly, it doesn't work out all the time..? No, really?

The thing I like the most about the first book was that everything they did made sense, got stuck, they found a way out. These books are over a course of time, a month or two will pass in a chapter. It made perfect sense, it was possible, there was no fairy godmother flying around making everything better. The characters worked for where they were. I like jinxed it or something, because what happens in Rebel Heart? POOF! Everything is better! The story is really bland in the beginning, and the only time the action heats up you’re too confused on what the heck the characters are doing to even enjoy it!

Rebel Heart picks up where Blood Red Road leaves off. We've got Saba, Emmi(my favorite), Tommo(love him too), and Lugh, traveling together heading west. Jack ol’boy had some business to take care of and splits. So about, I dunno, the first 2/3s of the book we're listening to Saba whine about waiting to meet up with Jack. I’m not a romance person; I’m in it for the action, yes a little romance here and there is nice. I’m always rooting for that underdog couple, and I love it when there’s that quirky couple. But in this book it’s like the author has a need to pair everyone up! It’s like a highschool where “you have to like someone”.  Why can’t they just be friends and not have their hearts broken?

I don’t want to ruin this book for the people still waiting to read it, I don’t want to spoil it, I don’t want to get your hopes crushed either.  This just book is one of those books, where I spent however long reading it, and in the end I feel like we’re right back at the beginning. Nothing was accomplished in it. Actually let me rephrase that, nothing positive happened in this book. It was all sad, sad, sad, oh they died? Sad, wow your life stinks. Sad. 

I’m giving this book a 3, I originally rated it a 3.5, but now that I’m thinking about it- it’s a solid 3. Or like a 2.8…  Bottom line, it ended pretty much how it started, we ran in circles and heard drama queen Saba go on, and on, and you get the point. Only now, half of her family hates her and me too.  So, I didn't get anything from this book besides disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment